News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Is Virtuemart 2 simply broken???

Started by daviator, March 27, 2012, 16:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daviator

I have tried to make simple adjustments to my system but none of the logic seems to work. Is the app simply broken, buggy, or just no good? Am I wasting my time and should I be looking elsewhere for a more stable platform that actually works? Am I the only one who is this frustrated with the state of VM 2? Has it jumped the shark? Is it a sinking ship?

Examples of my frustration:
I have created two shipping methods:
One is free for items that have 0 as a weight (downloadable items).
The other is a flat fee for anything above 0 as a weight.
( I also need a third flat rate for international orders but getting the top two working would be awesome.)
Why do my customers get the choice to select the free shipping option when the product they selected has a weight greater than 0?

Same issue for tax rates. I have two tax rates:
I have one for the state of MI in the US that adds 6% sales tax
I have a second for all other states for a rate of 0.
Why is my tax not applied correctly?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Anypc

Shipping isnt that hard. Just use logic.

create 2 shipping methods:

1) From 0.00000 to 0.00001 weight.
2) From 0.00002 to 2.00000 weight.

You probably have the second one also 0.0000 to 0.0001.

Remember to use decimals and not comma's!

Dont know about the tax problem. I use only 1 tax rate so can;t help you there.
Prowd owner of webshop:
www.AnY-Computers.nl

Version J2.5.4 with VM 2.0.3E.

daviator

I have done this but both shipping methods show no matter what product is chosen.

Anypc

Product must be 1.0000

1st is 0.00000 to 0.00001
2nd is 0.50000 to 15.0000

Make sure the downloadable product is weight 0.00000 and the other product is 1.0000
Prowd owner of webshop:
www.AnY-Computers.nl

Version J2.5.4 with VM 2.0.3E.

daviator

I did that first. I had the download product set to 0 pounds and all other products to 1 pound and that didn't work. So I tried decimals as well. But no matter what I do, they do not work in combination.

VM simply takes the first one as default and if you show the options, it allows the customer to select either no matter the weight.

Merry

Quote from: daviator on March 27, 2012, 16:58:02 PM
I have tried to make simple adjustments to my system but ...

... I have two tax rates:
I have one for the state of MI in the US that adds 6% sales tax
I have a second for all other states for a rate of 0.
Why is my tax not applied correctly?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Daviator,

Why do you have two tax rates, with one being $0? Try removing the second tax rate of zero and you should be fine on that issue.

Merry
Answer is probably from my VirtueMart 2 User Manual ebook, includes FREE updates. FREE Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Quick Install Guide & 30-Minute Quick Setup Guide http://showmeguides.com/

daviator

Hi Merry,
Because that doesn't work either. It simply adds no tax at that point no matter what state I use for shipping/billing.

Merry

So - are you sure that your Missouri tax is set up correctly?? That is where I would start.

Merry
Answer is probably from my VirtueMart 2 User Manual ebook, includes FREE updates. FREE Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Quick Install Guide & 30-Minute Quick Setup Guide http://showmeguides.com/

daviator

Hi Merry,
Yes, the Michigan state tax is setup correctly.

Calculation Rule name MI state tax   
Published = Yes
Ordering    = 0
Description = MI state tax   
Type of Arithmetic Operation = Tax per product
Math Operation = +%
Value = 6.000
Currency    = United States dollar
Product Category =   
Shopper Groups =   
Country = United States
State / Province / Region =   Michigan
Visible for Shopper    = Yes <<< I've tried this both ways
Visible for vendor = No
Start Date = 02/29/12   
End Date    = -Never-

Merry

Daviator, I have the identical setup for my state EXCEPT I have "Visible for vendor=yes" and it's tested and working properly.

Please check the product information page for a product that is not having tax applied properly. Does it say:

Pricing rules overrides
Tax
    Apply default rules
Tax Affecting: Tax 6.00%

Merry

daviator

Hi Merry,
I changed it "Apply default rules" and now it applies MI tax 100% of the time no matter where I chose as a billing/shipping destination. 

I really really appreciate your effort in helping me solve this but I have found a solution to this and the many other issues with VM2...

It's called Zen Cart. Worked flawlessly right out of the box. Tax, shipping and pricing display were a snap to setup. It even has the ability to exclude shipping charges for downloadable products. Which is broken in VM2 as well. In 3 hours I was further along than with Zen Cart that  was at 2 weeks with VM2.

It's sad. I first tried VM 1 and really liked it. But VM2 is a disaster and almost cost me this gig.

Merry

Daviator,

Good luck with Zen Cart, I wrote the manual 7 years ago.

As long as you assume that the program and not something that you, a beginner did, then I am afraid you will never succeed.

Merry

daviator

It is the program. Look around this board and see how many frustrated users there are.  I am not new to web development and have built some extensive sites with straight HTML and JavaScript in the past and more recently in Joomla and Wordpress. It seems to me that if I can figure out Zen Cart in a matter of hours and two weeks on VM2 is still not working, yeah, it's the program. (BTW, I dabbled in VM1 and never had the issues I'm seeing in VM2)

jakobe

Daviator is right, Virtuemart has simply lost the concept of Joomla, just completely alienated the basic user.

The developers have made it so difficult to get anything to work properly with VM2, look at half of the online demos, using joola 2.5 and vm2.0.2
the add to cart buttons doest work because all of the extra jquery code.

a simple , Hey I want a blue button instead of a green one requires css hacks and then when you finally figure it out you decide you dont like blue and want red.
then its another hack...its ridiculous to think basic users will want to do this.

I have been using VM for years, and never had this many problems fresh out of the box before.
so many little things along the way are broken like trying to add multiple images of differant sizes....but the resizing is broken.
now I must have multiple versions of the image to upload separately.

its not my server since I have about 30 Joomla sites on there functioning perfectly fine and my box is big and strong and its also not my skill level.

its just so frustrating to start a new cart with a client and need to buzz through the setup process only to find out that half the things are broken.
we are complaining to the forum....but you should hear our clients complaining to us!

When a user cant complete an order..they may never come back to order again...and who do you blame?...are the developers going to sit there and say "well. its because your a noob and just dont understand."

well then tell ME why its failing, because I'm not a noob and its still failing, I have built some pretty comprehensive and successful Joomla sites over the years.
are you going to tell me its still beginners bad luck?

time is money folks!

but hey...you get what you pay for

PRO

Quote from: jakobe on March 31, 2012, 03:10:03 AM

a simple , Hey I want a blue button instead of a green one requires css hacks and then when you finally figure it out you decide you dont like blue and want red.
then its another hack...its ridiculous to think basic users will want to do this.

styling css is NOT a hack,

and OP:

For the free and regular shipping rates fix
download the newest files here
https://dev.virtuemart.net/svn/virtuemart/trunk/virtuemart/plugins/vmshipment/weight_countries/

just "right click" and save.