News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Module assignment problem

Started by Tryer, March 25, 2012, 12:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tryer

Hi,

I have searched extensively for a solution to this problem - I don't think it is reported elsewhere.

I am creating a new Joomla 2.5.3 site using Virtuemart 2.0.2. (Actually a recreation of an existing Joomla 1.5.23 site using Virtuemart 1.1.9). Shop products are of course displayed in the main window of the template, and the category module, the currency selector module and the shopping cart module are displayed in a different module position on the right side. The module assignments for the three modules on the right side are set so that they display when a user selects any option related to the site shop (using a "Shop" menu item. OK so far.

When a product is added to the cart and a user clicks "continue shopping" in the popup box, the modules in the right position are no longer displayed (although the user is correctly returned to the shop category from which the "Add to cart" selection was made.) Since the user is still in the shop area of the site, this is not correct.

Up to the point when the user clicks "Add to Cart", the breadcrumbs display (typically) "Home>Shop>Print Sales>Photographer 1>Print 001", but after the "continue shopping" link is clicked, the breadcrumbs display "Home>Prints>Photographer 1".  This seems to indicate that the breadcrumbs change to picking up Virtuemart product categories rather than the original menu selections). When the "Shop" menu element of the breadcrumbs disappears, the module assignments are no longer activated and the modules in the right position are no longer displayed.

I don't understand how this happens - is this a Virtuemart problem or a Joomla problem?? I cannot currently see a way around this.

The site is still under development and therefore protected by a password. Srart at the URL :  http://www.openphotographicsociety.org/joomla17/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=9&Itemid=721

select one of the products and click "Add to Cart" and then "continue shopping" to see the modules on the right disappear.

Use the username "Test" and the password "Test".

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Fintan

I had something similar a while back.
I am not exactly sure what I did but I know it something to do with assigning a module to menu items.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Tryer

Thanks for the reply. I believe all the module assignments are correct - the problem is more subtle I think.

All the shop-related menu items are sub-menus of the top-level shop menu item. But when the "continue shopping" link is clicked the breadcrumbs display drops the "shop" menu element and just refers to "Home>Sub-menu" (rather than "Home>Shop>Sub-menu"). The module assignments incorporate only the Shop menu and all its sub-menus, so once the Joomla system thinks it is displaying "Home>Sub-menu" the menu assignments are no longer active and the modules are no longer displayed. I don't know how to get around this.

The "continue shopping" link presumably needs to take the user back to "Home>Shop>Sub-menu".

Comments appreciated.

draganagr

I have a similar problem.
I created a Menu item  for Shopping Cart, assigned some modules to it and template (i have two templates), but when the shopping cart is displayed, there are no modules but just the site's logo and the cart.

Any idea?
Thanks

Virtuemart 2, Joomla 2.5.4, php 5.3.8

amet123

I also face same problem i assign slide show in parent category and slide show and i want slideshow not show in product detail page

thanks
Amit Vaid

Gap Solution
Web Development

gjrweb

Hi there,

I've been having the same problem with a module.
There are two things that helped me:
1 Making a menu-item for the category (the pop up carts 'continue shopping' link refers to the category of your ordered product)
You can either use a normal menu-item that displays the category, or a hidden menu-item in the backend.
And this works properly unless you have SEO in Virtuemart disabled. So...

2 Enable SEO in the Virtuemart configuration. (the checkbox should be unchecked)
Apparently, Virtuemart will ignore your menu-items and module assignment if SEO is switched off.

Hope this helps,

Steven
[GJ-R] Webdevelopment & E-Commerce Expert

ms_buggy

Is creating menu for the virtuemart categories only way people are controlling this?
I would like to add this feature to the core of joomla, so that admin could control modules via Module Assignment / Menu Assignment ?