Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Need help or want to talk to other developers? Join the VirtueMart Chat! Read more...

Advanced search

247031 Posts in 67504 Topics- by 258313 Members - Latest Member: Matej.iStraxx
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: READ FIRST: Installation FAQ  (Read 146571 times)
Soeren
Administrator

VirtueMart Lead Developer

« on: January 21, 2005, 18:40:17 pm »

INSTALLATION FAQ

QUESTION: I'm having problems installing Joomla at all. What's wrong?

ANSWER: Don't post your problems here, but please visit this Forum for help: http://forum.joomla.org/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

QUESTION: There are so many files in that "complete package". What are these, what are they for and how do I install?

ANSWER: VirtueMart comes with many add-ons. Upload the file com_virtuemart_1.0.0RC2.tar.gz with the component installer and then mod_virtuemart_1.0.0RC2.tar.gz with the module installer. After that you must oublish the module in the module manager.
Just read the included README file. Everything's explained in there.

QUESTION: After having installed the component, I add a Main Menu Link to the VirtueMart component. But clicking on that link only displays the text Welcome to Washupito's..... What's wrong?

ANSWER: VirtueMart is no component-only script. It's programmed to be used together with the corresponding VirtueMart module. Without the module you'll always get the shop.index page. That's the cause.

QUESTION: When using the automatic installation nothing happens after clicking on Upload & Install What's the cause?

ANSWER: VirtueMart is a big component, its installer file archive has a size of more than 1 MB. When uploading this file to your server you can wait a long time until the file is completely transferred to your server. You can use the Remote Installer for VirtueMart instead!

QUESTION: Joomla Installer tells me Another component is already using the directory com_virtuemart

ANSWER: Please delete the directories /joomla/components/com_virtuemart and /joomla/administrator/components/com_virtuemart.

QUESTION: Safe Mode! Permission denied! I'm frustrated! I cannot install this component with the automatic Installer...What can I do now?

ANSWER: You can install this component manually! Everything is explained here:
MANUAL INSTALLATION

Have fun, Soeren
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 21:35:04 pm by Soeren » Logged

The future of eCommerce: VirtueMart & Joomla!
http://virtuemart.net
--
The VirtueMart project needs your help! To be able to continue this project please contribute your skills. Read more.
Jason

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 01:45:52 am »

What if you can't delete your directories through FTP?  I am getting the error of permission denied and it won't even allow me to change the permissions on the directory.  

Using COREFTP
Ridgeback

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 02:37:31 am »

Try a web based file manager such as Soeren's Mambo Explorer.  You can find it in the download sectrion on this site.

RIdge
Jason

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 08:41:15 am »

Well at this point I tried to remove Mambo and don't even have that up now, so I am in a world of SHI$%.  

Does anyone know of any FTP programs that  allow deletion no matter what?  Because currently my permissions are set to everything and I still can't delete.  Still get a permission denied error..
Soeren
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 10:32:17 am »

Hello jvalal,
I think you're frustrated, but this is no reason to post that many short messages in this forum. Try mamboXplorer OR some FTP program. One way WILL work.
I'll delete you messages from this thread this day.

ciao, Soeren

--
The VirtueMart project needs your help! To be able to continue this project please contribute your skills. Read more.
Bigjohn

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 15:59:57 pm »

soeren wrote:
Hello jvalal,
I think you're frustrated, but this is no reason to post that many short messages in this forum. Try mamboXplorer OR some FTP program. One way WILL work.
I'll delete you messages from this thread this day.

ciao, Soeren

Soeren -
there is something about the new PEAR/tar module that is causing some issues.  PHP is typically configured to execute as user 'nobody' so that the permissions of the executing user are assigned... but this UN-TAR module is setting a different owner on files and directories...

John
Jason

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 20:12:15 pm »

Soeren,

I am a little frustrated but there seems to be a genuine problem.  I think the program is great, and I would be happy to try things, but this forum isn't as search friendly for urgent issues.

An FTP program WILL NOT allow me to delet those files under any circumstance.  And since I am reinstalling Mambo I can't install your explorer

Sorry for posting so much, but I am still new to this and get confused by mambo and now mambo php shop is causing a bit of confusion as well.

Thanks

Post edited by: jvalal, at: 2005/01/22 20:13
Ridgeback

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 23:15:46 pm »

Option 1: Install a web based file manager independent of Mambo such as QuiXplorer (http://quixplorer.sourceforge.net/).

Option 2: Contact your web host for support on the file permission issue.

Option 3: Hire someone who knows what they are doing to fix your installation.

Ridge
TylerWalts

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 05:32:45 am »

Try renaming the directory to something else, like "old_mambo", then try installing again.

If you have SSH access to your hosing account, you can do it that way, but be careful Smiley

For SSH the commands would go something like:

[login]

ls
cd public_html
ls
rm -rf *
ls
exit

[close the program now]

This assumes that your web directory is called 'public_html'.  If you do not see a 'public_html' after the first 'ls' command, then your host has named it something else.  Common names include 'htdocs', 'httpdocs' and 'www'.  If it is none of those, then guess, or ask your sysadmin.  Also it will pay to search google for a "bash tutorial".

WitMatix.com Inc. - Powerful and Affordable Web systems.

http://WitMatix.com
westermann

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 09:58:59 am »

README.TXT tells
3. Now we have to install the Main module, which will help you to browse
your categories and products.
Go to "Installers" => "Modules"
(or - if you're using Mambo - "Modules" => "Install/Uninstall"),
and select the file
- mod_phpshop_x.xx.tar.gz
and then click 'Upload module'....

You will not find mod_phpshop_xxx in the virtuemart package, I think it's called mod_virtuemart_1.0.0-RC3.tar.gz. Is that right?
Thanks Klaus
Soeren
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 10:44:49 am »

Of course...

--
garyzaydman

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 08:36:50 am »

I made a brief Joomla installation video to help everybody get going with Joomla + Virtuemart

Learn to sell eBooks and Digital Downloads using Virtuemart?
Download my Free Report and Video Tutorial
http://www.virtuemartsolutions.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: