Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Need help or want to talk to other developers? Join the VirtueMart Chat! Read more...

Advanced search

247031 Posts in 67504 Topics- by 258313 Members - Latest Member: Matej.iStraxx
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Problem with Virtuemart navigation and breadcrumbs  (Read 75143 times)
undoIT

« on: July 22, 2006, 23:45:27 pm »

I'm having a problem with the navigation of the Virtuemart module within my Joomla site.  The problem is that the last page that I was visiting before clicking on a link to a section of the Virtuemart store is displayed in the breadcrumbs.  For example:  If I am on About Us and then click on the Our Products link in the Virtuemart module, the breadcrumbs path is displayed as follows: Home > About Us > Our Products.  If I am on Contact Us, the path becomes Home > Contact Us > Our Products.  The same goes for any other page in the Joomla site.

What makes things worse is that everytime I click a link in the Virtuemart store from a different section, it is treated as a different page.  I have 404SEFx installed to create SEF urls.  Each different instance of clicking on a Virtuemart link from a different page on the site is causing a separate SEF url to be created.  This makes it tedious to customize the url path for the virtuemart pages and is very messy.

Am I missing a way to setup Virtuemart so that the pathway is always: Home > Our Products etc. so that the Virtuemart module acts just like any of the other link sections in Joomla?  I've looked through every single configuration setting and searched on message boards and can't find any info.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Here is a link to the site I am working on:

http://www.fullersfineherbs.com
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 23:48:38 pm by undoIT » Logged
zane

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 06:50:47 am »

I've got the same problem, it's nothing to do with your set up, it seems to be inherent with Virtuemart.

On my site, I have some modules assigned to appear only on certain *Joomla* (not VM) pages, for example, a location map that appears only on my Contact page. The problem is that if you're on the Contact page, for example, then click a VM product category, "Contact" remains in the pathway, and so the map incorrectly displays with the product listings, when it shouldn't.

If anyone can help us discover and hopefully repair the mysteries of this faulty behavior, it will benefit (from what I've read) a great many people.

Perhaps we can also repair the erroneous display of VM pathways too, where some entries in the pathway are hyperlinked, and some are not, when in fact they all should be hyperlinked (excluding the top level, ie: "home", when not at home).

I hope this makes sense...
chummerz

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 20:31:03 pm »

Hi,

the problem is that when clicking through to the virtuemart component through the module via About Us etc, Joomla takes virtuemart onboard as though it's a main menu link. The best way to solve this problem is to establish that Joomla is a separate Menu entity.

This is done via these steps.

- Login to Joomla Admin
-  Goto Menu Manager and create a new Menu with Module Title.
- Click on the Menu Item you just created to add a link
- Create a new link to the Virtuemart Component. The name of the link is important as that will show in the breadcrumbs/pathway. Say "My Shop"
- You don't need to publish the module but it is important that you publish the link in the menu administration so Joomla will recognize it and will take into account the Virtuemart set of links.

Now everytime you are in the Virtuemart component you will have a breadcrumb base of " Home > My Shop > $currentPage "

Regards
Marcel

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 03:29:29 am »

Hello there,
I had that same problem aswell, I managed my way around it by adding the menu item to show a listing of categories of VM. When you click a link to a VM categorie directly from another section in joomla you have this problem. Although, I still have this petty bug on the breadcrumb bar: The current categorie is hyperlinked when it shouldn't, while the link to Products root (or the root categorie) is not hyprlinked and this one should. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you for your help
giovannigr

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 16:53:55 pm »

Hello to all people this problem i have two weeks ago and i try some tricks
but only one fix the problem i try this and all looks good.

1 Go to Joomla Menu-Mainmenu section
2. Create new item select virtuemart component from selections and
named this item the name of your e-shop (e.x. Giovanni Store)
3. Publish this item but not the Mainmenu
With regards.
snippio

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 02:36:04 am »

Hello,

Just replace the function vmAppendPathway (in mainframe.class.php) by this one (starts on line 354):

function vmAppendPathway( $pathway ) {
global $mainframe;

// Remove the link on the last pathway item
$pathway[ count($pathway) - 1 ]->link = '';

if( vmIsJoomla('1.5') )
{
if(count($pathway)>1)
{ $cmsPathway =& $mainframe->getPathway();

$i=0;
foreach( $pathway AS $item) {
if($i>0)
{ $cmsPathway->addItem($item->name, str_replace('&', '&', $item->link) );
}
$i=$i+1;
}

}
} else {
$tpl = vmTemplate::getInstance();
$tpl->set( 'pathway', $pathway );
$vmPathway = $tpl->fetch( 'common/pathway.tpl.php' );
$mainframe->appendPathWay( $vmPathway );
}
}

This is a 100% fix. It works for unlimited productlevels and the Virtuemart breadcrumb keeps working.

Make me happy and please report whether this was a usefull tip!!!

Bye!
Thijs
shanepetty

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 17:15:55 pm »

snippio,

thanks for the fix. Worked like a charm for the issue we were having in a product category with more than one page. VM would not let the user navigate back to previous pages.

Shane
shafee85

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 10:05:26 am »

Hi,

the problem is that when clicking through to the virtuemart component through the module via About Us etc, Joomla takes virtuemart onboard as though it's a main menu link. The best way to solve this problem is to establish that Joomla is a separate Menu entity.

This is done via these steps.

- Login to Joomla Admin
-  Goto Menu Manager and create a new Menu with Module Title.
- Click on the Menu Item you just created to add a link
- Create a new link to the Virtuemart Component. The name of the link is important as that will show in the breadcrumbs/pathway. Say "My Shop"
- You don't need to publish the module but it is important that you publish the link in the menu administration so Joomla will recognize it and will take into account the Virtuemart set of links.

Now everytime you are in the Virtuemart component you will have a breadcrumb base of " Home > My Shop > $currentPage "

Regards

Worked like a charm mate. Thank you very much for this tip Smiley

qingpool

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 10:04:12 am »

Thank You Chummerz!
dankrmp

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 20:27:02 pm »

Excellent fix - thanks so much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: